15 replies [Last post]
Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25

I've reached the point where I often try and force something and end up breaking it so I've decided to stop by again to ask you lot for advice.
Can someone explain to me how to separate the drive shaft from the drive flange.
I've tried to unscrew it but it wont budge. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks
Al.

  • shaft1.jpg
  • shaft2.jpg
MikeL46
MikeL46's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #9300
Joined: 01/01/2016
Posts: 75
I'm going to guess it is a

I'm going to guess it is a taper fit.

It looks like there is a through hole from the flange end that may be used to press it apart. Or, maybe there are threads in there for a bolt to push it apart.

Mike

__________________

67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

wa1nca
wa1nca's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #8374
Ashfield Ma.
Joined: 09/27/2012
Posts: 596
Driveshaft

Irish R252 wrote:

I've reached the point where I often try and force something and end up breaking it so I've decided to stop by again to ask you lot for advice.
Can someone explain to me how to separate the drive shaft from the drive flange.
I've tried to unscrew it but it wont budge. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks
Al.

This is a qoute from my r51 r68 Barrington service and restoration manual

the drive flange has to be pressed off with a support the the flange and a 20 ton press
Here a pic of the Barrington Restoration and Service manual for the removal of the flange
It says if your only what to replace the rubber boot at the end of the driveshaft it may be wise to cut it and glue it back together
as you may destroy the driveshaft without the proper setup

  • rdsc04992.jpg
__________________

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3 55 R50 64 R27 68 R69US 68 Sears Allstate 250 (Puch)

schrader7032
schrader7032's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #7032
San Antonio, TX
Joined: 10/27/2006
Posts: 6902
A suggestion on your R25/2

A suggestion on your R25/2 work. IMO it would be better if all your posts on this journey were in one thread. Might not be easier to find specific things, but it allows for a begin to end story of your efforts!

__________________

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
cheers

wa1nca wrote:
Irish R252 wrote:

I've reached the point where I often try and force something and end up breaking it so I've decided to stop by again to ask you lot for advice.
Can someone explain to me how to separate the drive shaft from the drive flange.
I've tried to unscrew it but it wont budge. Is there a trick to this?
Thanks
Al.

This is a qoute from my r51 r68 Barrington service and restoration manual

the drive flange has to be pressed off with a support the the flange and a 20 ton press
Here a pic of the Barrington Restoration and Service manual for the removal of the flange
It says if your only what to replace the rubber boot at the end of the driveshaft it may be wise to cut it and glue it back together
as you may destroy the driveshaft without the proper setup

Thanks for that. Great advice I'll leave well enough alone and do as you say with the rubber boot.

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
will do

schrader7032 wrote:

A suggestion on your R25/2 work. IMO it would be better if all your posts on this journey were in one thread. Might not be easier to find specific things, but it allows for a begin to end story of your efforts!

Good suggestion I will indeed.

Micha
Micha's picture
 Offline
Joined: 10/12/2007
Posts: 352
At the time, I was dealing

At the time, I was dealing with the same issue on my R51/3.
I contacted a guy from Turkey who makes spare parts for BMW vintage bikes.
I finally abandoned the matter for the restoration of other parts and I am currently put is aside, but I remember that his prices were reasonable and he claims to be one of the suppliers of the European BMW parts suppliers. The communication with him was via WhatsApp as he has no web site and in my opinion, is worth checking with: sometimes a new purchase is preferable to the old renovation, and do not forget that the balance of the shaft is also needed here, and its alignment, if necessary...

If you want to try, here you go:

+90 544 388 55 88
Kemal kml motorrad

__________________

Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
cheers

Thanks Michael, thats a contact that will come in handy some day

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
leaky

So I noticed a pool of oil under my reassembled rear drive shaft, never nice but I'll chalk it down to education. I assumed I didn't assemble something correctly so took it apart again and noticed that;

1) the seal for pinion referenced in Salisparts wasn't in my assembly https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/index.php/seal-for-pinion-32x45x7-mm.html

and
2) this circular spring washer (as in an actual spring see photo) which was mounted over a circular piece of plastic was in place in the threaded ring that holds the cardan bell in place in the housing. It also seem to have the job of an oil seal.

Salis do not seem to have this part listed. Has anyone else come across this plastic/spring ring? Seems odd to find plastic in there, It had become so brittle that it fell apart when touched (perhaps it was rubber that hardened over the years, more likely). Anyway Im assuming this is the cause of the leak. Just need to find a replacement part or an alternative or maybe something else is missing that was not there when I got it, I cant see how the current setup will prevent oil leaks

Thoughts/comments welcome.

(if referencing out to webstores is not allowed let me know and I'll remove the link)

  • 20191208_145335.jpg
schrader7032
schrader7032's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #7032
San Antonio, TX
Joined: 10/27/2006
Posts: 6902
The link is fine...helps us

The link is fine...helps us see what you're referring to. Did you have a photo to include? You can edit your post and add the photo as needed.

__________________

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
photos

schrader7032 wrote:

The link is fine...helps us see what you're referring to. Did you have a photo to include? You can edit your post and add the photo as needed.

Sorry the photos didn't upload, let me try again.
I've added a crude before and after also, showing with and without the plastic/rubber and spring

  • 20191208_141757.jpg
  • 20191208_145603.jpg
  • before_after.jpg
wa1nca
wa1nca's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #8374
Ashfield Ma.
Joined: 09/27/2012
Posts: 596
Pinion Seal

looks like Salis has the seal you need
Tommy

__________________

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3 55 R50 64 R27 68 R69US 68 Sears Allstate 250 (Puch)

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
You think this is the one I

You think this is the one I need then Tommyl? it doesn't look the same to me,
https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=3312...

Cheers
Al

wa1nca
wa1nca's picture
 Offline
VBMWMO #8374
Ashfield Ma.
Joined: 09/27/2012
Posts: 596
Pinion Seal

Not sure if your was the orignial or badly worn

I have used Salis many times and never had a problem with their parts diagrams

Tommy

__________________

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3 55 R50 64 R27 68 R69US 68 Sears Allstate 250 (Puch)

Micha
Micha's picture
 Offline
Joined: 10/12/2007
Posts: 352
Try over here, it's another

Try over here, it's another point of view:
https://www.bmwbike.com/index.php?e=mhs

__________________

Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Irish R252
Irish R252's picture
 Offline
Cork Ireland
Joined: 10/26/2019
Posts: 25
Thanks Michael, yes thats the

Thanks Michael, yes thats the same part as in the Salis site.
Cheers

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.