1929 R62 Restoration.
Photo’s of other peoples bikes on the internet have helped me with this project. Maybe these will help someone else. As the restoration is ongoing I will occasionally update with more photo’s.
I bought the bike in October 2011. It was located in Hamburg area and had matching original numbers. The bike had the remains of a later twist grip throttle instead of levers, very corroded running boards, and an incorrect speedometer, the rest seemed perfect for restoration. The owner (last 10 years) had started some engine work, and stated the previous owner had it stood for 50 years. I have always liked the delicate elegance of these early bikes, people see art in many ways, I see it in some bikes, and have suggested to my wife it should be mounted on wall brackets in the house when finished. (I don’t think there will be an update showing that)
Since starting the work on my R11 last year I have had lots to learn. The forums past items have proved useful along with direct answers to my questions.
I do have some engineering and fabrication experience having started a small business in 1983 manufacturing vintage and classic car body units, hood frame folding mechanisms, and other items to supply various restoration companies. I let the business go in 1995 so probably a little rusty in some areas. Things have moved on, processes and products have moved standards higher, but it has been good to meet old contacts again from this period to help sort some of the work. I no longer have the workshop facilities that I had, and grateful for their help.
I took detailed photo’s before and during stripping it down. I started by blasting all the cycle parts and replacing sections of the mudguards. The frame was good, but the fork suspension tube had stress fractures around the spring mounting. I made a new one of these using the original spring mounting and bottom lugs.
I assembled the bike parts in primer to check alignment. This was done by using approx 4ft long bar to act as a long rear axle, and similar threaded bar at the front held by nuts and cone washers. I could line the “axles” up side on and horizontally with each other. A small tweak on one spring tube lug, then drilled, pinned and brazed. (I don’t know if this is the recognized way to align the bike) Then checked again with rebuilt wheels using straight edges, and wheel alignment checked with mudguards etc. It was stripped again and sent for painting. The primer washed off and light blasting before paint process began. I am expecting the first parts back from the painter at the end of the month. The tank has been treated with an ethanol proof lining.
On stripping the engine I found it had been rebuilt as stated with valves, re-bore and new pistons, cam and followers surfaced etc but the crank had a tight spot on one big end. This has also been rebuilt with new bearings throughout. The crank and cylinder barrels also carry the matching engine number. The mag/dyno has needed a new dynamo armature and have re-wound the magneto. The gearbox has new bearings, and seals replaced with modern types. Rear drive has new bearings and seals, the gears are good but new drive shaft and kardon drum is to be fitted.